Thursday, January 26, 2012

As of Today aka My Last Words...


On Tuesday and Thursday mornings I drive my son to school – it’s a 45-minute drive one way.   And if you have a 10 year old, then you know that means it is generally 45 minutes of quiet time (unless he snores).  For me, it means I get to listen to meaningless entertaining DJ chatter on a local radio station.

This morning was no exception to our norm.  But one of the chatters was focused on what they would tweet if they were to die.  Apparently twitter has come up with a way for its’ clients to post a tweet pre death, that will be tweeted upon twitter being notified of your passing.  Hmmmm – anyway, the djs were discussing what they would say in 140 characters. 

It got me to thinking.  And mine is way more then 140 characters.  And probably a bit morbid.  But think about it, what a great gift to give those you leave behind.  Your last imparting words.  Mine would be along these lines:

I want my funeral to be a celebration of life – not necessarily mine but the one He gives us.  This would remind those in attendance to not mourn me as I’m up there partying down with my Savior – and  “no worries, I’m saving a place for you right next to me.” 

As of today, I would like Huckabee, Swayze and Stewart to play super cool, amazing songs like Jonah 33 “This is it” and that song that I can never remember the name of but has the line, “I will set you as a seal upon my heart, as a seal upon my arm”.  And it better be jammin’ – complete with band, and lot of jumping up and down!! 

As of today, I’d want a super cool slide show conveying my favorite moments in life – vacations with the family, race accomplishments, date nights with my hub and of course, those insane moments of camp life.  Please don’t forget to include the one of me covered in shaving cream (there should be a few dozen of those to choose from).

As of today, I’d want Freeman to share a message of joy, grace, mercy, compassion and living life without regrets.  All the things our God shows us daily and how we often forget to live them daily.  I know for me, I often had to ask for an extra dose of mercy from Him, and often fell short of living the way He’d want me too. 

As of today, I’d want my children to know that the best of my life began when my oldest was born, and that it was through her, that I realized my true character and strength.  I’d want them to know that I wasn’t the best mom.  That my God came first, my family was second and my ministry was third – even though, sometimes they didn’t feel that was the sequence.  I’d want them to know that even when I was playing the role of funsucker, that I enjoyed every moment I had with them, and cherished every conversation – no matter how painful or ugly – we had.  I would wan them to know that they need to chase their dreams, to live their lives with no regrets, but with respect and dignity.  And that I’m proud of them.  In all things.

As of today, I wouldn’t want my hub to dwell in deep sorrow although I suspect he well.  We have often spoken of what would happen if the other passed first – we both realize we will end up in a ball on the floor in the corner of a room with the ugly cry face glued on our face for a very long time.  I would want him to know that he was the best parts of me and that I really never knew of any greater earthly love then his.  I would want him to know that I never stopped believing in him, that it always made me smile at just the mere thought of him, and that God created Him just for me.  I would want him to know that I was always my most calm, peaceful, happiest when we were side by side. 

As of today, I would want our kiddos (youth) from Oklahoma, Georgia and Texas to know that they often get the better parts of me because God always managed to shine through me when I felt least adequate.  That it wasn’t me they saw, but instead it was Christ.  I would want them to know to that I would hope instead of mourning my passing, that they celebrate our reunion which will hopefully be a long time in coming.  That they have much work to do here on earth and that they need to get it done according to His desires instead of His. 

As of today, I would want my mom to know that while we had a difficult relationship for much of our life, that all the mistakes were forgiven and that I know she did her best.  To make sure she didn’t waste the rest of her life focusing on worrying about what other’s perceptions were but to live a more carefree, judgment free life. 

As of today, I’d want my nieces and nephews that I may not have been the most hands on aunt, I’m a pretty self absorbed person to be honest, but it didn’t mean I didn’t think of them each day and I always prayed for them.  And while prayer may not be much solace to them, it was the best I could do – after all, I live kindof far away.  As for my brother, and in-laws – I would hope they knew that I loved them all – sometimes more then others, some more then others (okay, do you really think I’m going to lose my sarcastic wit just because I bite it?).  Relationships are what they are – sometimes your not very good while in them – I would say my big regrets in life are that I never poured myself into these relationships more.  And that I know my focus was always on my relationship with Christ, Chris and my children first and foremost before any others. 

I am sure there is more that I would want people to know and I know I could probably condense this into 140 characters to fit my death tweet, but these are the thoughts that came flooding into my mind after the mindless chatter of the DJs this morning. 

Amazing what self-reflection one can have in 45 minutes. 

BTW, please only show good pictures of me in the slide show.  :)

So what would your last words be?